7:17: Biden says Zelensky “did not want to hear” his warning about the Russian invasion
Joe Biden assured on Friday that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky “did not want to hear” American warnings before Russia’s invasion of his country. “A lot of people thought I was exaggerating,” he said of Russia’s attack on Ukraine even before it began, the president said during a reception in Los Angeles to raise funds for the Democratic Party.
“But I knew we had information about it. [Le président russe Vladimir Poutine] was going to cross the border. There was no doubt, and Zelensky did not want to hear it, “he added.
The United States began warning of preparations for an invasion of Ukraine long before the Russian president announced a “special operation” against the country on February 24. These warnings sparked distrust and even more or less veiled criticism from some European allies, who at the time considered the United States too panicky.
6:50 a.m.: 37,000 women in the Ukrainian army, according to First Lady Olena Zelenska
There are currently 37,000 women serving in the Ukrainian army, 1,000 of whom have become commanders, Ukraine’s First Lady Olena Zelenska said at a conference in Brussels on Friday.
“Most of our doctors are women, as well as 50% of our contractors working for the economic war,” she added.
6:48: France, in turn, condemns the death sentence of three foreign militants in the Donbass
France, in turn, sentenced to death three foreign fighters who tried the courts of the self-proclaimed separatist Republic of Donetsk.
“France is extremely concerned about reports of the death sentence following a sham trial of two British citizens and a Moroccan citizen captured by pro-Russian separatist forces in Donetsk,” the foreign ministry said on Friday. press release.
6:46: “Our resilience is a mystery and a miracle for many,” Zelensky said
British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace paid an unannounced two-day visit to Kyiv. President Zelensky thanked him for London’s leading role in Western support for Ukraine.
“Words turn into action. This is what makes the difference between relations between Ukraine and the United Kingdom and between Ukraine and other countries, “Zelensky said, accepting him, clearly mocking other European countries he did not name.
On Friday evening, the President of Ukraine added: “For 107 days, Ukraine and our people have heroically resisted Russian aggression. For many, our resilience is a mystery and almost a miracle. We are undergoing a survival test.
What to remember from Friday
• France is ready to take part in the “operation” to unblock the port of Odessa (South) and export Ukrainian grain to countries in need, according to Elysée. France also wants Ukraine to emerge “victorious” from the conflict with Russia.
• Volodymyr Zelensky stated that the cities of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk in the Donbas “hold their positions” as fighting continues in the two cities, which are trying to win over Russian troops.
• The Ukrainian army claimed that from the first days of the invasion it had been bombing Russian positions in the Kherson region, which were under the control of Moscow troops.
• Emmanuel Macron may travel to Kyiv next week after a trip to Romania and Moldova, according to Le Parisien. However, the visit to the Ukrainian capital “has not been determined yet”, the president said.
• A touching rally was held in Paris in honor of French journalist Frederic Leclerc-Imhoff, who was mortally wounded by shrapnel in Ukraine in late May. His family and colleagues from BFMTV were present.
• Senegalese President Mackie Sall warned of the threat of famine in Africa due to the war in Ukraine and the crisis in wheat exports.
6:45: Hello everyone, welcome to this live broadcast, where we will follow the situation around the conflict in Ukraine, on the 108th day of the Russian invasion.